Text

Welcome to my weather blog. I produce two weather forecasts per week, normally Monday and Thursday evening, and also put links to any other interesting weather information, and crazy weather videos that I discover. The forecast is based on my expectations for the Reading area, UK. If you want a forecast for your area, please e-mail me or comment below the blog post.

Tuesday 5 June 2012

A June Of Three Thirds?

I expect June to be split into three.  The first part wet, but not always as cold as this, the second part to be fine and dry but not massively warm, and then a heatwave, most likely with downpours, to finish.  The unsettled part will be for around another 10-16 days, the two spells afterwards for between 4-8 days each, still very uncertain.

I will talk about July and August later.

I have to admit that the Jubilee weekend forecast was the worst I have made for a while.  It was a very difficult one to predict - hence why nobody was saying anything about what the weather would be until a few days in advance - I am trying to do it much further in advance and I have to hold my hands up and say I got that one wrong.  Sorry.

It was only on Thursday 31st that I was able to get a true grip on what was going to happen, such was the unpredictability of it.  Why was it so unpredictable?  A combination of things from a very southerly jet-stream wanting to move north towards the UK, the first tropical storm of the season, Beryl which was unusually early to get mixed up in the Atlantic, a hot plume from Africa and high pressure building to our north-west, all made it a total mess and very unpredictable.

I took a punt and lost.

I am more certain about this week being unsettled though and I give you details:

Wednesday may see some sunshine but don't be fooled, showers will develop , some heavy, possibly torrential downpours, at any time.  You may get lucky and miss them all in which case it will be a pleasant day at around 17'C, but expect heavy downpours.
Thursday will see a deep area of low pressure, you will notice it being rather windy, and an area of heavy rain will spread across during the day, we are talking 5-6 hours of heavy rain.  It will clear through in the evening to lead to showers overnight.  Between 14'C and 16'C.
Friday will be showery with the potential for longer outbreaks of heavy rain too, around 14'C, cooler though if it is cloudy and wet all day.

At the moment, Saturday could turn out fine at 18'C but heavy rain is on the way, most likely for the evening and overnight, and a real soaking quite likely.  Again, this far out it is not possible to say whether the timing is spot on, there is a risk of the rain arriving during the day.

Sunday will see more rain, and turning cooler.

At the moment I think it most likely that there will be more rain the week after before finally drying out for a while but that is not certain.

I would suggest at the moment, around 18th is my guess for when it might start to turn settled, but cool to start.

Around 25th is my guess for the heatwave.

But things can change and probably will so keep an eye out on my Facebook page for regular short updates.

July I expect to be quite hot at times, some good sunny spells, but also some thundery rain at times, a good mixture but some good sunshine for sure.
August I expect to be drier, hot to start but cooling down towards the end.

If you like my forecasts, please spread the word.  Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment