Text

Welcome to my weather blog. I produce two weather forecasts per week, normally Monday and Thursday evening, and also put links to any other interesting weather information, and crazy weather videos that I discover. The forecast is based on my expectations for the Reading area, UK. If you want a forecast for your area, please e-mail me or comment below the blog post.

Friday 23 December 2011

Updated Weather Forecast - Friday 23rd December 2011

Apologies that I didn't do my updated weather forecast yesterday as usual, I was still researching when my pint of gravy was ready and I feel asleep straight after.

The reason for so much research was trying to find signs of high pressure building either to the north of the UK or over Scandinavia, which is what the second half of my winter forecast depends on, and is still eluding me.

Not to worry though.  There is increasing signs of high pressure over the UK at times, and I still expect this to transpose itself over Scandinavia at some point, splitting the jet stream to the north and south of the UK (it still looks too strong at the moment), or just to the south of the UK, bringing a fetch of cold air from Europe with snow from time to time.

I never expected this to happen in December, and due to La Nina, albeit a weak affair, I do not now expect it until the middle of January, maybe not even until after my birthday on 22nd January.  It never snows on my birthday.

So until then, more mildness at times, with the odd brief cold interval - and I did say December would be unusually mild, though it has been only slightly milder than average so far.

Friday will see heavy rain this afternoon, clearing during the evening with a slight frost possible by dawn, 11'C during the day, 1'C overnight in clear skies.
Christmas Eve will start bright but there will be patchy cloud in the afternoon, with the odd spot of light rain in the breeze later possible, 6'C both day and night.
Christmas Day will be mostly cloudy, some bits of brightness, mild at 10'C by day, 6'C overnight.
Boxing Day will be somewhat sunnier, and still mild around 10'C, down to 4'C overnight.
Tuesday should again be fairly sunny, though with low pressure to the north, do not be surprised if it is cloudy instead, but it will remain dry, 10'C by day and 4'C by night.
Wednesday looks a damp, cloudy affair, 10'C by day, down to 0'C overnight in cooler air.
Thursday will be sunny, but chilly at 5'C, with a frost overnight, down to -1'C.

Then we return back to milder but more unsettled weather and currently it does look like heavy rain for New Year's Eve night - too far away to give a definite, but I will be surprised if there is not rain at some point New Year Eve or Day.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment