Text

Welcome to my weather blog. I produce two weather forecasts per week, normally Monday and Thursday evening, and also put links to any other interesting weather information, and crazy weather videos that I discover. The forecast is based on my expectations for the Reading area, UK. If you want a forecast for your area, please e-mail me or comment below the blog post.

Thursday 26 January 2012

Updated Weather Forecast - Thursday 26th January 2012

I promised a change to cold, and finally the colder air is slowly starting to migrate from the east towards the UK.

However, the Atlantic warmth and rain is not willing to give up, so it looks like there will be a battle over the UK in the coming days between the milder, wet weather from the west, and the much colder, drier air from the east.

It will make for very interesting weather in some areas, some places will see snow but it will be hard to work out until probably the day before.  And sometimes it will be too marginal to call - but it will be interesting.

If I become aware of the likelihood of snow, I will update my Facebook Weather Page.

For now:

Tonight will see any showers clearing and a fairly chilly night, down to 0'C with a slight frost possible.
Friday will start sunny but showers will develop, I would say there is a 70% chance of catching one or two, possibly a little sleety, chilly at 7'C, a frost overnight, down to -2'C.
Saturday will start sunny but frosty, high pressure is building, it will be chilly at around 5'C.  A frost likely overnight again, down to -2'C, though there may be cloud starting to build from the west.
Sunday will see a band of rain coming from the west, however there is a chance that it might turn to snow - certainly on the hills it will, it is not likely to in Reading but there is a 30% chance and I might upgrade the chance if you ask me tomorrow.  Don't be surprised to see a couple of hours of wet snow or sleet before it turns back to rain.  Cold at 3'C, similar overnight.
Monday is a very interesting looking day.  Cloudy with areas of precipitation around.  The wind direction looks to turn to the east.  Some areas will see snow.  Again, Reading is not a favoured area but perhaps in the evening as it turns cold, it may snow a bit.  50% chance.  On wet ground though, it isn't going to settle.  4'C at best during the day and down to -3'C overnight.
Tuesday is yet another interesting day with a 40% chance of some snow, but also some rain too.  No higher than 3'C.  Cold.

If I had to put a bet, I would say that the mild air will win out by Wednesday, but only temporarily, and then only to say 8'C, not especially mild.

And then a return to cold.

There is going to be so much very cold air over Europe that it would be silly if we did not get some proper wintry weather during the first half of February.  Even the Met Office think there is a 66% chance of cold and snow during February!

As soon as I can firm up with details with regards to potential snow, I will do.  Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment