Text

Welcome to my weather blog. I produce two weather forecasts per week, normally Monday and Thursday evening, and also put links to any other interesting weather information, and crazy weather videos that I discover. The forecast is based on my expectations for the Reading area, UK. If you want a forecast for your area, please e-mail me or comment below the blog post.

Monday 18 July 2011

Updated Weather Forecast - Monday 18th July 2011

I was delighted today, to come across the following news story in The Sun (don't worry folks, it was the online version, I didn't buy the paper, I am more of an Economist man, or The Daily Star), but anyway, I quote The Sun:

RAIN will lash Britain for the next THIRTY DAYS, forecasters predicted yesterday.

Millions face a holiday washout with storms expected to whip in until at least August 16.

This is backed up with:

A Met Office spokesman said: "We're only able to forecast for 30 days at a time, and we expect it to remain unsettled for all this period."

It just makes me even more confident that we are going to have a generally decent summer overall.  Whether this 'Met Office spokesman' is a meteorologist or a receptionist, or more likely, a press officer, I do not know.  Changeable would be a better word to use than unsettled, I feel, unless referring to the north of Scotland, or perhaps the East coast of England, for the next 30 days.

I do recognise that it is pretty rubbish right now, and I am not surprised.  I didn't promise a record-breaking summer, just a better one than the past four, and I am still confident of good weather to come.

Tuesday will be an improvement, something in the way of sunshine, though a slightly cool breeze, and a couple of showers around, but it might actually reach 20'C.
Wednesday will be fairly similar, plenty of cloud but some sunshine at times, some showers developing, and perhaps a 20'C.
Thursday again remains showery, and perhaps cooler at around 18'C - but a ridge of high pressure is starting to build from the west.
Friday is a slightly funny one as the low pressure that we had the previous weekend will re-intensify over Scandinavia and start to head back towards the UK, a very unusual pattern, I do not ever recall seeing this, it shouldn't make too much progress and it should be mainly dry, fairly cloudy, 19'C but there is a chance of something damp.

Saturday, because of this unusual feature is a little uncertain, I expect more in the way of cloud than sun, but there could be a period of rain for the eastern side of the UK, quite whether it will reach Reading, I do not know.  So temperatures somewhere between 17'C and 20'C depending on rain/fair.
Sunday should see high pressure start to build and it should be sunny, with clouds, and still the chance of a shower, it may reach 22'C.

From then on, I expect us to become influenced by the extending Azores high which sits to our south-west all year long - if we get lucky, a cell of high pressure may develop over us and if it does it will be stubborn to move throughout August, however, at the moment, it looks more likely that it will bring drier (not totally dry), sunnier and warmer weather.

But with low pressure expected to our east over Europe for much of the next few weeks, it will undoubtedly have a wet influence from time to time.  But I am hopeful of a 70/30 split in favour of good summer days to less good ones.
 
So a showery but reasonable first half of August, and a fair, perhaps warm, second half of August.

I think that counts as a generally decent English summer.  Perfectly imperfect.

Oh and in case any of my friends, or perhaps their mother's, have any concerns over my reference to 'ladyboy ex-lovers' last Monday, I was being a tad facetious in my attempted humour.  I can confirm that I am yet to visit Thailand.

Only 4 months until snow.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment