Text

Welcome to my weather blog. I produce two weather forecasts per week, normally Monday and Thursday evening, and also put links to any other interesting weather information, and crazy weather videos that I discover. The forecast is based on my expectations for the Reading area, UK. If you want a forecast for your area, please e-mail me or comment below the blog post.

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Updated Weather Forecast - Tuesday 7th February 2012

Apologies for the lack of my usual Monday forecast last night, I was busy celebrating, one thing led to another, led to another and by 5am I couldn't see the screen.

Winter is definitely set to continue...no snow of significance for now but I might have something to say about that come the end of my forecast.  Maybe.  But potentially the coldest night of the winter so far tonight (the coldest last week in Reading was -8.8'C).

Did you enjoy the snow?  I didn't bother with a snowman in the end.

This is my neighbour's attempt:

I'm waiting for it to snow, PROPERLY.

My sister had a much better attempt and I am suitably jealous:

Tonight will be mostly clear and frosty, down to -8'C, possibly lower.
Wednesday will be mostly sunny though some areas of cloud at times, probably not getting above 0'C and down to -7'C overnight, maybe slightly less cold if cloudier than currently expecting.
Thursday might reach a balmy 2'C but it will be a much cloudier day.  Outbreaks of light rain will head down from the north-west during the day, reaching Reading later in the evening and potentially falling as snow.  I would say 60% chance of snow but it won't be more than 1cm.  I will of course update nearer the time if this changes.  -2'C overnight with the light and patchy wintry mix continuing.
Friday will start cloudy, any bits of light rain, sleet and snow clearing and the sun should come out, it might even reach 3'C.  Cold and frosty overnight and down to -6'C.
Saturday will be cold, sunny and dry, frosty overnight, 2'C by day and -5'C overnight.  Interestingly high pressure is building over the Atlantic and Greenland - an excellent way to stop the Atlantic conveyor belt of wind, rain and mild weather getting to the UK.  This happened late November 2010 - remember what followed?!
Sunday will be noticeably less cold, maybe 5'C, still mostly sunny, a bit of cloud and only -1'C overnight.
Monday maybe a little light rain and a shocking 7'C!

For the middle of next week I favour low pressure coming down from the north with a cold, Arctic blast, maybe rain at first but as the wind potentially swings to the north-east it could turn to snow.  And it could be significant.

Wednesday is the key day.

It is way too early to be sure yet, this is not a pattern that happens very often.  But it is what I think is most likely as things stand.  I certainly expect more wintry weather before this is out and I would not be surprised if the cold sticks around until March.

In summary, cold and frosty, slowly getting less cold but then a potential new winter blast.

1 comment:

  1. what a brilliant igloo - well done team birchfield

    ReplyDelete