Text

Welcome to my weather blog. I produce two weather forecasts per week, normally Monday and Thursday evening, and also put links to any other interesting weather information, and crazy weather videos that I discover. The forecast is based on my expectations for the Reading area, UK. If you want a forecast for your area, please e-mail me or comment below the blog post.

Monday 23 May 2011

Updated Weather Forecast - Monday 23rd May 2011

Weather forecasting is complex in it's difficulty.  Sometimes it is so difficult to know what is going to happen two days ahead, but yet you can be confident of what is 10 days ahead.  Other times it is all predictable for weeks on end.  And then it is so confusing that it changes from day to day.

I think I am in the first category at the moment.  Sadly I don't see significant periods of warm and settled weather until around 4th/5th June.  Not to say that there won't be a couple of warm and sunny days though.

At the moment, the jet-stream is strong and heading straight to the UK - hence the storm over Scotland today.  But it should drift northwards and reduce in intensity at the same time, in a couple of weeks.

Those of us in the south, will get the southern edge of the weather systems, so cloud, and sometimes rain, but also better days in between.

Tuesday will see high pressure building after the storm system to the north clears away, sunshine and clouds, not especially warm, 16'C.
Wednesday sees the next low pressure system heading towards Scotland, but it should be sunny in Reading, and maybe quite warm around 19'C if lucky, there may be some rain overnight.
Thursday doesn't look especially pleasant, with a cool north-westerly wind, perhaps only 13'C, and the potential for some blustery showers.  How autumnal.
Friday and high pressure tries to build, but not really succeeding.  It should be dry, it may be sunny, but not that warm at all, 15'C.


I am not yet confident of an outcome for the bank holiday weekend.

I would expect another area of low pressure to develop, bringing some bits of rain and wind during Saturday or Sunday, on current output.  But I am not convinced, it may well be dry.  I am hopeful that temperatures will at least pick up to around 18'C.

From then on, I expect high pressure to start to build at some point over or around the UK.  Bringing sunshine, and eventually much warmer weather.  I'm looking at around 5th June for that to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment